[Air-L] Antw: mailing list analysis

Derek Hansen shakmatt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 04:23:26 PDT 2011

If it's a large dataset of emails you may consider using Mailbag
Assitant [1] to store, view, organize, search, and export emails. It
handles very large datasets (e.g., I've used it with 90,000+ emails
with reasonable speed) well and won't have a problem reading HTML /
Plain Text mail (although most mailing lists are plain text). You can
use regular expressions to perform saved searches and can export the
email you get into many formats including a database for further
analysis. It also identifies the most common words in the corpus and a
few other basic statistics (e.g., # of messages sent per month).
Unfortunately, it does not have the ability to add tags or comments to
individual emails.

[1] http://www.fookes.com/mailbag/

Derek Hansen
Assistant Professor