[Air-L] Software to assist making back-of-the-book subject indexes

Leurs, K.H.A. (Koen) K.H.A.Leurs at uu.nl
Sun Jun 5 05:14:36 PDT 2011

Dear all,

This summer I will be assisting the editors of an anthology. I have spoken to various people who have worked on generating back-of-the-book subject indexes, mostly manually, while some have opted for software, either using Word indexing options to stand-alone applications.

A detailed overview of software options is available from the American Society of Indexers, http://www.asindexing.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3319.

However, I would like to tap into the lists collective intelligence to decide what's best. What are your best experiences? Manual or automated?

We are considering asking contributors to the anthology to mark a number of (total) 15-20 critics, concepts and places in the book that they would like to have included in the index in the proofs.

Best regards,

Koen.

Koen Leurs | Aio / PhD student Gender Studies  |  Research Institute for History and Culture  |
 |  Utrecht University, the Netherlands  |  Muntstraat 2a  | 3512 EV Utrecht  |  Room 1.12  |
 www.koenleurs.net  |  www.uu.nl/wiredup |