[Air-L] CFP: Expanding the frontiers of hacking

dan mcquillan dan at internetartizans.co.uk
Sun Jun 19 02:01:47 PDT 2011

nice link to alchemy!

i got a lot out of reading 'abstract hacktivism' by von busch and
palmas. it brings out the artisanal pattern, with the added (vital)
element of subversion / acting without permission.
http://www.isk-gbg.org/abstracthacktivism/

they also have a nice angle ontologically (trying to get beyond the
post-structuralist limitation of hacktivism to culture jamming, and
thereby connecting to the 'maker' movement).

i think the connection between hacking / open source and radical
political transformation has yet to unfold, and is better followed via
the term hacktivism.

right now, there's a fascinating interplay between offline social
movements and hacking (c.f. the arab spring, and now the financial
'crisis). the deterritorial support group make some interesting point
about this in 'Twenty reasons why it’s kicking off in cyberspace'
http://deterritorialsupportgroup.wordpress.com/2011/06/07/twenty-reasons-why-its-kicking-off-in-cyberspace/

cheers
dan