[Air-L] twitter useless to study?

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Fri Mar 4 15:09:22 PST 2011

As an object of study, its hard to do quant analysis of Twitter now
because so much of it is spam (unless you're studying spam, that is).

And even qualitative analyses will have to be careful.

Our 2 Twitterology papers got into the sweet spot when Twitter was an
appreciable size but before spam dominated (about 80% of my new would-be
Followers)

OTOH, I find Twitter useful for research leads -- such as the Atlantic
article a tweep broadcast today about how the Internet almost fractured --
or Zeynep et al's (@techsoc) discussion of social media and MENA
revolutions.
  Barry Wellman