[Air-L] Call for papers: Mobile Family Interarction

Matti Nelimarkka matti.nelimarkka at hiit.fi
Mon Mar 7 05:43:14 PST 2011

Mobile Family Interaction: How to use mobile technology to bring trust, safety and wellbeing into families

Workshop organized in Mobile CHI 2011 30.8.-2.9. @ Stockholm, Sweden.

This workshop aims to deepen our understanding of mobile technology use by preteens. The ubiquitous nature of this technology opens up new possibilities for technology use and abuse that need to be considered by parents and governments. This ongoing technological change will also affect family interaction and parenthood, bringing up new uses for mobile technology throughout families.

In this workshop, we welcome multiple approaches to start to explore this domain. We particularly welcome contributions from the following approaches:

* Empirical studies of preteen use of mobile technology, including use for communication among friends and family. Empirical analysis of themes, opportunities, coping strategies and mediation is also welcomed.

* Case studies of campaigns and other efforts to improve media literacy skills, and child-child and child-adult mediation, with particular emphasis on the development of best practices, as well as theoretical work on topics such as child-child or child-adult mediation.
* Presentations of innovative solutions and concepts that improve family life and child empowerment. The solutions will likely include mobile aspects, but may include also other media sources, such as the Web.

This is a cross-disciplinary workshop, and we explicitly invite contributions from a range of disciplines, including anthropology and ethnography, sociology, education, design studies, social sciences, science and technology studies and computer science. We also welcome contributions from non-academic organizations, such as corporations and both governmental and non-governmental organizations.

***

Important dates:

Deadline for submissions 8.4.2011
Information of acceptance: 15.5.2011