[Air-L] spammers & tweeters (2)

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Tue Mar 8 09:24:38 PST 2011

Here's a problem with spammers on tweeters. Suppose you're doing a
diffusion of info study, and you want to track RTs and even the memes over
a network chain.

Trouble is, some worthy folks (like someone who begins with @z) just let
all Followers in, even though I betcha most are now spammers who never
check Your posts (Narcissim, thy name is Twitter Spammers).

So any chain of communication is going to end with them as black holes,
and we're going to get quant underestimates of the extent to which memes
propogate on Twitter.

  Barry Wellman