[Air-L] e-books

Jonathan Sterne, Dr. jonathan.sterne at mcgill.ca
Thu Mar 10 16:48:50 PST 2011

Hi All,

I'm just curious.  How many people actually read e-books in the DRMed format that publishers provide through a browser interface?  I'm at Stanford this year, which has lots of titles in electronic form.  But many of them are unreadable past a couple pages.  A .pdf that could be displayed on an e-reader device would be fine, but I can't see sifting through a web portal that lets me do a whole lot less than what I could do with a physical text.  If I really want to read the book, I get the physical copy or see if there's a .pdf floating around.

Best,
--J