[Air-L] Prospects for Peace & Democracy in Russia (Barry Wellman)

Inna Kouper inna.kouper at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 21:18:04 PDT 2011

I hope that the book by Metta Spencer is much more complicated and
that the abstract of the talk misrepresented it. We already have
claims made by scholars that there would be no orange revolution in
Ukraine without livejournal, that facebook and twitter brought changes
to Egypt, and so on. Such claims are not only technologically
deterministic, they lack historical, sociological, and ethnographic
sensibilities. Grassroots movements in Russia need much more than
skype (or any new media for that matter) to "proliferate transnational
dialogues". It would benefit us as scholars and activists to at least
acknowledge that even if we don't have means to theorize and practice
it.

Inna