[Air-L] twitter useless to study?

Deen Freelon dfreelon at u.washington.edu
Fri Mar 4 15:20:08 PST 2011

I think the amount of Twitter spam in one's dataset probably varies
based on how it was drawn. In analyzing American political hashtags, our
research team is finding very few tweets that appear commercial in
nature. What we've found more of is "bot" accounts that auto-tweet
aggregated—but still on-topic—content, which I wouldn't consider spam.
And based on my own non-systematic observations, the major MENA hashtags
(#jan25, #libya, #bahrain, etc.) appear to be mostly on-topic as well. ~DEEN