[Air-L] Seeking info about famous internet people *not* from North America

Tatyana Lockot tatyana.lockot at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 12:24:50 PST 2011

Sue,

For Russia and RuNet it would have to be Artemy Lebedev, founder of
Art.Lebedev studio. He's an icon, very popular, and his blog has thousands
of readers, he's often quoted.

More info in English and Russian:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art._Lebedev_Studio
http://www.tema.ru/ - personal webpage
http://tema.livejournal.com/ - his LiveJournal

You can google him for more.

Cheers,

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Sue Thomas <Sue.Thomas at dmu.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear all
>

> Can anyone help me with this please?
>

> I'm looking for stories about people who have become well-known due to
> their involvement with the internet and who are NOT NORTH AMERICAN! I'm
> finding it incredibly difficult, and I don't know whether it's because
> I'm looking in the wrong places or whether the US and Canada really do
> dominate big name cyberculture.
>

> I'm looking for people outside North America who have become famous  or
> successful in net-related R&D or business or government or law, or be
> influential thought-leaders, authors and critics, or are notorious for
> net exploitation or crime, or are fictional or gaming cyberspace
> characters, or online religious leaders etc etc.  I have a few in mind
> already, of course, but my list is very short.
>

> So, who is your country's Bill Gates or Steve Jobs or Tim O'Reilly? Your
> Howard Rheingold or Stewart Brand or Kevin Kelly? Your Steven Johnson or
> Henry Jenkins? (You will have noticed btw that these are also all white
> men, with the possible exception of Jobs, who is half-Syrian).
>

> Who are your internet criminals and what did they do? Do you know of any
> well-known stories or urban legends about  the net which may or may not
> be true? Does your country use the internet in a very
> culturally-specific way?
>

> Apart from individuals themselves, I'm also interested in
> culture-specific stories such as haunted mobile phones in Malaysia or
> Chinese RPGs based on the Monkey tales.
>

> I'm sorry this is vague but hope you get the drift.  Please send
> thoughts, links and ideas for reading matter to sue.thomas at dmu.ac.uk
>

> Don't worry if the sources are not in English.  I have access to some
> translation resources.  NB You might be quoted in a book or paper but
> full attribution will be given.
>

> Many thanks
>

> Sue
>

> _________________
>
> Professor Sue Thomas
>
> Faculty of Humanities/Institute of Creative Technologies
> Clephan 1.01d
> De Montfort University
>
> The Gateway
>
> Leicester
>
> LE1 9BH, UK
>
> e: sue.thomas at dmu.ac.uk
>
> t: @suethomas
>
> w: Nature and Cyberspace: stories, memes and metaphors
> http://www.thewildsurmise.com <http://www.thewildsurmise.com/>

Tetyana Lokot

Doctoral student in MassComm
Head of New Media Sequence
Mohyla School of Journalism
National University "Kyiv-Mohyla Academy"
8/5, Volos`ka Str., building 4, office 404,
Kyiv, Ukraine, 04070
mob: +380506611020
http://www.j-school.kiev.ua