[Air-L] Seeking info about famous internet people *not*from North America

Sue Thomas Sue.Thomas at dmu.ac.uk
Sun Mar 6 09:58:42 PST 2011

Thanks, Anne, for both your mails!

-----Original Message-----
From: air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org [mailto:air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org] On Behalf Of Anne Holappa
Sent: 05 March 2011 13:51
To: air-l at listserv.aoir.org
Subject: Re: [Air-L] Seeking info about famous internet people *not*from North America

I already emailed you about the Finnish social media phenomena

But in general level in Finland people related to Internet are:

* Linus Torvalds - soft engineer, developper of Linux http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds

* Petteri Järvinen - a regular commentator in press of all Internet related issues, mostly safety issues http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petteri_J%C3%A4rvinen

Anne Holappa, Finland

> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Sue Thomas <Sue.Thomas at dmu.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Dear all
>>

>> Can anyone help me with this please?
>>

>> I'm looking for stories about people who have become well-known due
>> to their involvement with the internet and who are NOT NORTH
>> AMERICAN! I'm finding it incredibly difficult, and I don't know
>> whether it's because I'm looking in the wrong places or whether the
>> US and Canada really do dominate big name cyberculture.
>>

>> I'm looking for people outside North America who have become famous
>> or successful in net-related R&D or business or government or law, or
>> be influential thought-leaders, authors and critics, or are notorious
>> for net exploitation or crime, or are fictional or gaming cyberspace
>> characters, or online religious leaders etc etc.  I have a few in
>> mind already, of course, but my list is very short.
>>

>> So, who is your country's Bill Gates or Steve Jobs or Tim O'Reilly?
>> Your Howard Rheingold or Stewart Brand or Kevin Kelly? Your Steven
>> Johnson or Henry Jenkins? (You will have noticed btw that these are
>> also all white men, with the possible exception of Jobs, who is half-Syrian).
>>

>> Who are your internet criminals and what did they do? Do you know of
>> any well-known stories or urban legends about  the net which may or
>> may not be true? Does your country use the internet in a very
>> culturally-specific way?
>>

>> Apart from individuals themselves, I'm also interested in
>> culture-specific stories such as haunted mobile phones in Malaysia or
>> Chinese RPGs based on the Monkey tales.
>>

>> I'm sorry this is vague but hope you get the drift.  Please send
>> thoughts, links and ideas for reading matter to sue.thomas at dmu.ac.uk
>>

>> Don't worry if the sources are not in English.  I have access to some
>> translation resources.  NB You might be quoted in a book or paper but
>> full attribution will be given.
>>

>> Many thanks
>>

>> Sue
>>

>> _________________
>>
>> Professor Sue Thomas
>>
>> Faculty of Humanities/Institute of Creative Technologies Clephan
>> 1.01d De Montfort University
>>
>> The Gateway
>>
>> Leicester
>>
>> LE1 9BH, UK
>>
>> e: sue.thomas at dmu.ac.uk
>>
>> t: @suethomas
>>
>> w: Nature and Cyberspace: stories, memes and metaphors
>> http://www.thewildsurmise.com <http://www.thewildsurmise.com/>

>> http://www.aoir.org/
>>

> --
> Radhika Gajjala
> Director, American Culture Studies
> Professor of Communication Studies and Cultural Studies
> 101 East Hall
> Bowling Green State University
> Bowling Green, OH  43403
>
> http://personal.bgsu.edu/~radhik