[Air-L] Spam and Twitterology

Alex Halavais alex at halavais.net
Mon Mar 7 07:47:34 PST 2011

Social Science is Hard :). The fact that spam runs rampant on Twitter
shouldn't be an indicator that its worth as an object of study is
diminished. Just the opposite, I think. Email is arguably the spamiest
of internet channels, precisely because it garners so much attention
from its users.

If people stop using it, or it does not play an important role as
mediator of social relations, then yes, by all means, abandon.
Otherwise, it calls for some very difficult choices regarding whether
(a) you have to do some form of spam filtering before analyzing the
network and/or (b) what the network analysis actually measures when
some tweets/follows are clearly less meaningful than others...

Best,

Alex