[Air-L] Seeking info about famous internet people *not* from North America

john-willy.bakke at telenor.com john-willy.bakke at telenor.com
Mon Mar 7 00:49:20 PST 2011

Hi

A few Norwegian names:
Yngvar Lundh who is known for his work for bringing both ARPANET and the internet to Norway.  (Norway was, BTW the first country outside US to connect to the internet, 20 minutes before the UK :-) )
http://www.ais.org/~ronda/new.papers/articles/misc/workshop000.txt
http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yngvar_Lundh

Pål Spilling, professor at the University of Oslo and the UNIK Graduate Center at Kjeller
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%A5l_Spilling

The people behind Opera Software, famous a.o. for bringing the internet onto small screen devices, including the founders Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner and Geir Ivarsøy, as well as the CTO Håkon Wium Lie, famous for proposing the concept of Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) (all easily searchable)

All of the above were working at, or affiliated with, the research department of the incumbent telecom operator of Norway, Televerket (which later was privatized, changing name to Telenor).

Other notable contributions include Fast Search & Transfer (now part of Microsoft), established by a group stemming from Department of Computer and Information Science at NTNU.  Key persons include Espen Brodin, Arne Halaas and John Markus Lervik.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Search_%26_Transfer

BR
John W. Bakke (Norway - working within Telenor)