[Air-L] Oh Canada!

Andrew Herman aherman at wlu.ca
Tue Mar 8 10:14:50 PST 2011

It's official!

Andrew Herman, Ph. D.
Associate Professor and Chairperson
Department of Communication Studies
Graduate Program in Cultural Analysis and Social Theory
Wilfrid Laurier University
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3C5
CANADA
519 884-1970 x3693

>>> Sylvie Noel <sylvie.noel at crc.ca> 08/03/2011 1:12 pm >>>
I don't know when Norway was connected, but I can tell you that the
first time Canada got connected to the ARPANET was on April 3, 1985, and
it was at the Communications Research Centre of Canada that it happened
(which is the only reason why I know the date :)

Sylvie Noel

On 2011-03-08, at 11:50 AM, Barry Wellman wrote:

> I believe that Canada was connected to the then-American Internet
before Norway and UK. Sorry, can't document, but as always bear embraced
us (and vice-versa), and Sue Thomas and John-Willy Bakke overlooked us.
> Feeling neglected is so Canadian. :)
>
> Barry Wellman

>  S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC               NetLab
Director
>  Department of Sociology                  725 Spadina Avenue, Room
388
>  University of Toronto   Toronto Canada M5S 2J4
twitter:barrywellman
>  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman
fax:+1-416-978-3963
>  Updating history:
http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php

Sylvie Noël, PhD
Chercheure scientifique | Research scientist
Centre de recherches sur les communications Canada | Communications
Research Centre Canada
3701, avenue Carling | 3701, Carling Ave.
Ottawa (ON) K2H 8S2

(613) 990-4675 | téléc./fa

http://www.aoir.org/

--- Scanned by M+ Guardian Messaging Firewall ---