[Air-L] Oh Canada!

Scott MacLeod scott at scottmacleod.com
Tue Mar 8 11:00:25 PST 2011

}Anders and All, :)
 Janet Abbate's "Inventing the Internet" (MIT 1999) is one good
resource for some of this discussion, but not so much for dates of
international articulations of the internet.
 The book is referenced here at the Internet Studies' subject at wiki
World University and  School -
http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/Internet_Studies [1] - like
Wikipedia with MIT OCW.
 I'll add some of such resources as we mention them.
 Scott
 Scott MacLeod
 World University and School
 http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/World_University
 http://scottmacleod.com
 scott at scottmacleod.com
 On Tue 08/03/11 12:34 PM , Anders Sundnes Løvlie
a.s.lovlie at media.uio.no sent:
 According to the English Wikipedia article on ARPANET Norway got
 connected in 1968, one year before the net even existed. Beat that,
 Canada! :p
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arpanet#Growth_and_evolution
 (Seriously though, according to NORSAR we got online in 1973.
 http://www.norsar.no/pc-5-30-NORSAR-and-the-Internet.aspx )
 University of Oslo
 folk.uio.no/anderssl
 On 08.03.11 19.14, Andrew Herman wrote:
 > It's official!
 >
 > Andrew Herman, Ph. D.
 > Associate Professor and Chairperson
 > Department of Communication Studies
 > Graduate Program in Cultural Analysis and Social Theory
 > Wilfrid Laurier University
 > Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3C5
 > CANADA
 > 519 884-1970 x3693

 > I don't know when Norway was connected, but I can tell you that
the
 > first time Canada got connected to the ARPANET was on April 3,
1985, and
 > it was at the Communications Research Centre of Canada that it
happened
 > (which is the only reason why I know the date :)
 >
 > Sylvie Noel
 >

 > On 2011-03-08, at 11:50 AM, Barry Wellman wrote:
 >
 >> I believe that Canada was connected to the then-American Internet
 > before Norway and UK. Sorry, can't document, but as always bear
embraced
 > us (and vice-versa), and Sue Thomas and John-Willy Bakke
overlooked us.
 >> Feeling neglected is so Canadian. :)
 >>
 >> Barry Wellman

 >>   S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, FRSC               NetLab
 > Director
 >>   Department of Sociology                  725 Spadina Avenue,
Room
 > 388
 >>   University of Toronto   Toronto Canada M5S 2J4
 > twitter:barrywellman
 >>   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman
 > fax:+1-416-978-3963
 >>   Updating history:
 > http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php

 >> http://www.aoir.org/
 > Chercheure scientifique | Research scientist
 > Centre de recherches sur les communications Canada |
Communications