[Air-L] book announcement

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Tue Mar 8 23:30:57 PST 2011

Hi -

Want to add my two bits here - that for people like myself, who are not
university affiliated, prices like these just keep the books out of our
ken altogether. The same goes for conference fees (unless they're waived,
which is a rarity), etc. The two tiered system is in place, here and now,
and a lot of us are tired of back-peddling to get the latest findings in
research, JSTOR, etc. This creates an academic enclave that parallels
those described by Davis re: homeowners associations, etc. You pay your
dues, literally, or remain ignorant and end up always - always - watching
the dialog occur elsewhere.

Personally, I'm disgusted by these prices; I wish there were waivers for
those of us in the pale, below the poverty line, whatever. A 'Handbook' is
supposed to be useful, almost in the sense of fieldwork - but whose field-
work?

- Alan