[Air-L] spammers & tweeters (2)

Deller, Ruth A R.A.Deller at shu.ac.uk
Wed Mar 9 02:36:47 PST 2011

The same is true of email, and some forums and blogs that don't filter spam properly (the amount of spam I get on Wordpress is crazy but it all gets filtered out through WP's own spam filter or my approvals process, and moderating on three forums, I see the amount of spam we get daily that has to be deleted, even with anti-spam features in place), not to mention the spam wasteland that is MySpace these days - whilst spam and spambots are annoying, they're just a feature of the internet (much as those useless bits of advertising paper stuffed inside magazines are a feature of that medium).  They don't make any studies invalid, nor any medium too difficult to study, they just add complications (to certain types of study) but if they're affecting our data, I guess we need to come up with strategies to accommodate that in the way we've done for 'lurkers' rather than simply saying 'it's too hard'.

Spam followers could potentially be an interest of study on their own - you mention the oddest things (I mentioned lamb once, and I'm a vegetarian) and get a spam account for that thing following you.

(Hello, my name is @ruthdeller or @RadShef and I like abusing brackets)

Ruth