[Air-L] book announcement

Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu
Wed Mar 9 04:56:01 PST 2011

Since I was mentioned in Charles' email that started this thread....

I think Jeremy sums it up pretty well. I can't speak to Lang's business model, I haven't a clue about it. What I do know is that the books in Digital Formations aren't intended nor marketed to be "handbooks" or "reference books." In general those are perceived as very different from other types of books, textbooks and monographs. They usually have smaller press runs, more pages, are targeted at libraries (and other institutional buyers) and not individual buyers. Some presses publish only reference books, others publish a mix of those and other books. The business model relies on high prices to presumably at least break even with relatively few unit sales.

Sylvie Noel brought up in a subsequent email that there are people who publish e-books at very low cost (and, I would add, there are probably others who provide their work for free). There are alternatives such as these and others, and I have always encouraged AoIR to consider alternatives in general, so perhaps this is something to think about and to do. However, I would (always) add that it is not something we should look to AoIR to instigate, it is something that should come from members and those on air-l, who, if they are interested in pursuing alternatives, should pursue them and seek the support of AoIR (whatever form that support might take).

Similarly, I would very much like to encourage people to consider danah's recommendation in an email not part of the 'book announcement' thread of Ignite talks (and other forms of presentation) at the next AoIR. They need not even be within the structure of the program, but could take place at other points in time during the conference.

Part (perhaps a big part) of what one faces when proposing and engaging in alternatives to traditional scholarly modes of presentation is the seeming recalcitrance of the academy, but in my experience it can't hurt to try, and it just might help a lot.

Thanks,

Steve