[Air-L] book announcement

Nathaniel Poor natpoor at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 08:38:07 PST 2011

The University of Michigan Press and the University of Michigan Library have a joint effort, Digital Culture Books, where books are published in print and online where they are freely available under a CC license.

http://www.digitalculture.org/about

You can get a publication from a university press and everyone (who can access the internet) can read your ideas (if they accept your proposal, that is).

(Disclaimer: My PhD is from UM.)

I liked Charles' point (which others mentioned as well) about how this is considered a *library* book by the publisher. And I liked Alan's point about those of us who do not have a university affiliation (like myself, although I luckily have the New York Public Library). I can see that a publisher might consider books along the lines of who will buy it and what is the price (such as library books which are expensive), but I thought libraries were always underfunded and this kind of pricing doesn't help libraries. I want to say something like "I doubt it helps publishers either" but that's really beyond my ken.

I like having a personal research library (paper, so old fashioned, I know). One of my grandfathers was a history teacher and there were always books around, shelves of two- or three-inch wide biographies of political figures and historical events.

Maybe send out another announcement when it's available in paperback?

(I admit I'll probably go spend $59.99 [then plus taxes $60+] for a copy of Dragon Age II... It's for study, of course.)

-Nat.