[Air-L] book announcement

Alex Halavais alex at halavais.net
Wed Mar 9 08:50:25 PST 2011

There are some interesting models in this area. One that has gotten a
bit of buzz lately is "patron driven acquisition." Ebrary is doing
this for example:
http://www.ebrary.com/corp/librariesPatron.jsp;jsessionid=DAIILCDPMHDA
. (I believe our library is trialing that now.)

Some publishers also allow private ebook rental:
http://umichpress.typepad.com/university_of_michigan_pr/2010/08/um-press-launches-ebook-rental-program.html

I personally am leaning toward--as a acquisitions editor who shall
remain nameless called it--the "Radiohead model" for my next book:
$0.99 seems like a perfectly reasonable amount to charge. Now it's
just a matter of finding time to write the darned thing.

Best,

Alex

--
//