[Air-L] book announcement

Tjarda Sixma sixma.vijselaar at planet.nl
Thu Mar 10 01:38:04 PST 2011

One other issue is that access to (digital) databases is limited to
people directly associated with Universities.

As soon as I graduated from Utrecht University I lost access to both
the University library and their online databases. My aim to combine
my practise as a visual artist with a more theoretical approach to new
media was thus hard to realise. After a few lectures on several art
schools, and one published article, I simply had to give up.

Whereas Art Studies in the USA are part of University studies, in the
Netherlands they are taught at separated (lower level) Art Academies.
Thus there is little dialogue between both fields.

It would be great if - for a small fee maybe - graduated University
students would still have access to the digital databases. This would
be one little step to break open the academic enclave.

I agree with Alan Sondheim that it is utterly frustrating to have to
watch the dialog occur elsewhere, and not be able to do one's bit.

Best,
Tjarda