[Air-L] book prices (re. volution! together can we make the difference? )

Monica Murero murero.monica at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 05:36:48 PST 2011

interesting discussion, and yes, I know... if I say that ALL TOGETHER
we can make a difference  or "lobby" to start negotiating a bit more
final prices with editors all over the world , it  would sound utopian
- at least  for some... But  I like experimenting,  as Steve Jones
suggested, perhaps because I come from the Leonardo, Galileo and
Armani's land :-)  I am sure I can speak for many when I say that
access to education and knowledge is a fundamental and universal right
and value that we have achieved in many centuries. But we are still
struggling...

Here a little experiment that has transformed principles into actions.

Following Barry's invitation to mention our last publication, for
example, I published my last book  - (Dec, 2010). Digital Literacy:
Introduction to social media, in Italian - with an editor who shares
with me the UNESCO's policy and vision about access to higher
education.  I have given up my royalties, avoid to be logorroic,
reduced pages (made  students  happier ). Average price of comparable
books is 12-21 Euros. My book: 7 euros. The editor is making his
profit because my students can afford it and avoid to photocopy it - a
plague in several countries that reduces editors' profits. If I hadn't
partnership with my editor to cut the final price, it would have never
happened. A win-win situation.

- Ask your editor how prices can be lowered on your next publication
is an experiment worthed to try. A little gesture could mean a lot for
disadvantaged scholars. Why not? Imagine the global picture...

- Aoir Exec folks , here  a proposal for you  :-) Why not discussing a
statement in the Aoir bylaw that sustains and endorses the UNESCO
policy on access to education for Internet Research publications?
Aoir's could cite it and bring to their editors, and partner together
to make it happen.

Asking is lecit and free, answering is courtesy!

Monica

-------------

Monica Murero , Ph.D.
AoIR Exec, 2003-2009; AoIR Treasurer, 2005-2009
AoIR Lifetime Member

Director E-Life International Institute
Associate Professor in Politics of e-Government
and in Sociology of New Technology
University Federico II, Italy
Consultant, World Health Organization
LinkedIN: http://it.linkedin.com/pub/monica-murero-ph-d/16/52/606