[Air-L] digital society instead of info soc?

Ren Reynolds ren at aldermangroup.com
Sat Mar 19 11:04:05 PDT 2011

Petr,
Having been on the edge of similar discussions for the last few years (I've been on the IGF / OECD / Council of Europe policy circuit) the conscious decision process is probably at once trivial and complex.

It is my guess that with the change in role of commissioner Reading there was a lot of discussion about the nature of the agenda. I imagine also that the notion of 'digital' seemed more 'now' as policy makers are often desperate to give the impression that they are in touch with what is going on 'on the street'. Loaded into this each stakeholder would have read into 'information' and 'digital' all kinds of values that they felt represented their position and the position that they wanted to project for the EU for the future.

I know this is very meta but the details are probably now lost as much of the detailed work of actors in influencing such positions tends to occur in un-documented meetings in corridors and bars.

Sorry if this is a ridiculously simple analysis that blindingly obvious. What I can say from first had is most intergovernmental policy meetings that I've attended are excruciatingly boring :)

ren