[Air-L] CFP "The Culture of Remix"

Carla Ganito carla.ganito at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 14:52:44 PDT 2011

*Research Center for Communication and Culture

2nd International Graduate Conference in Communication and Culture

The Culture of Remix

Lisbon, 13-14 October, 2011
*

This inter-disciplinary graduate conference seeks to address questions
concerning the multiple dimensions of remix at the intersection of culture
and communication.  Lawrence Lessig has proposed “remix” as one of the main
outcomes of social and cultural practices enabled by new technologies that
allow for easy production and sharing. Remix is the creative mixing of
cultural elements, a collage, a blending, a hybridization of genres,
creative destruction. Henry Jenkins talks of a “convergence culture” and
many other authors refer a participatory turn. But this surge of creativity
and participation also poses authority, legal, economic and ethical
challenges. Against the hype of an amateur culture, many voices from
academia and industry question the value of remixing practices, namely
regarding authorship. According to the net-generation mentality, originality
is a fallacy and legitimacy resides in authenticity. In the scope of this
perspective, creativity is expressed in the way one approaches an existing
text, or the text is reorganized; among critics, a set of questions on the
cultural consequences of these new practices and values has been raised.

This conference aims to bring together doctoral students, post-doc and
junior researchers from different areas and disciplines to share research
interests and works-in-progress, learn and engage in fresh intellectual
discussion with international key academics and build a community of young
scholars. We seek academic work from any field of communication or cultural
studies.

Papers are welcome on the topics listed below, amongst others:

-    The ethical dimensions of remix;
-    The politics of remix;
-    Technologies of remix;
-    Journalism and remix
-    Hybridization;
-    Participatory Culture;
-    The current challenges of/to authorship;
-    Entertainment as a remix;
-    Gender remix;
-    Remix in the literature and the arts;
-    The economics of remix;
-    Free culture;
-    Philosophical roots of remix;
-    Cultural citizenship;
-    Remix and Education: Learning by Remixing;
-    Remix and Identity;
-    Remixed Cultures;
-    Fandom.

*Deadline for submissions: May 31st, 2011*

The conference language is English.

Please send a 250-word abstract, as well as a brief biographical note (100
words) to cultureremix at gmail.com by May 31st, 2011. Proposals should list
paper title, name, institutional affiliation, and contact details. If you
are submitting a work in progress, we welcome your submission! Please state
that it is a work in progress in your abstract.

We acknowledge receipt and answer to all paper proposals submitted. If you
do not receive a reply from us in a week you should assume we did not
receive your proposal. We suggest then resending it. Successful applicants
will be notified by June 17th, 2011.

We regret to inform that travel and accommodation funding for conference
participants is not available at this time.

Catholic University of Portugal
Palma de Cima
1649-023 LISBOA
PORTUGAL