[Air-L] Workshop call: Online Patient Experience, ­ HCI 2011

Phoenix Mo phoenix.mo at northumbria.ac.uk
Mon Mar 28 01:58:46 PDT 2011

Apologies if cross-posted

We invite submissions for the 1st Workshop on Online Patient Experience (PEx) and its role in e-health.

The Internet has an important role in the provision of reliable, relevant and timely health information for the public and patients. Traditionally, authoritative health information has been based on facts and figures, not the experiences of patients. However the rise of patient-generated content on the Internet, in the form of online patient experiences (PEx) has changed the landscape of health decision-making. Online PEx can have both positive and negative influences - PEx can enhance social support, and facilitate adjustment to an illness but can also raise anxiety levels and in an unmoderated format can deliver very powerful but misleading messages. PEx is important for researchers and e-health designers alike and in this workshop we seek to bring the new PEx community together to share new approaches and findings.

The workshop is being run as part of the 25th BCS conference on Human-Computer Interaction (HCI 2011) which is being held in July at Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne with the theme "health, wealth and happiness" - see www.hci2011.co.uk

Position papers of 2-4 pages should be sent to Dr. Phoenix Mo (phoenix.mo at northumbria.ac.uk), by the 1st May 2011. Full workshop details available here: https://sites.google.com/site/opex2011/