[Air-L] book announcement

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 21:23:42 PST 2011

Dear AoIR-ists,

Mia Consalvo and I are *extremely* proud and pleased to announce the
publication of the Handbook of Internet Studies from Wiley-Blackwell - first
of all, because the volume features the impressive work of many AoIRists.
The book is an introduction to the field and assessment of current research
in Internet Studies, providing history and context as well as commentary and
debate about where the field is heading and what key issues must be
addressed in future work. The volume is comprehensive in scope, addressing
the development of internet studies in areas including the history of the
field, methods for interdisciplinary study, youth and teens online,
politics, health communication, games and virtual worlds, gender, sexuality,
ethnicity, religion, social networks, and much, much more.

The list of contributors is even more impressive-- we have contributions
from Maria Bakardijeva, Naomi Baron, Nancy Baym, Sandra Braman, Janne
Bromseth, Niels Brügger, Klaus Bruhn Jensen, Elizabeth Buchanan, Heidi
Campbell, Laurel Dyson, Lorna Heaton, Steve Jones, Lori Kendall, Sonia
Livingstone, Marika Lüders, P. David Marshall, Susanna Paasonen, Jennifer
Stromer-Galley, Jenny Sundén, TL Taylor, Barry Wellman, Deborah Wheeler, and
Alexis Wichowski.

For more information about the book, please check the Amazon page at:
<http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Internet-Studies-Handbooks-Communication/dp/
1405185880/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299561410&sr=1-1-fkmr0>

We congratulate these scholars and researchers for what we find to be
definitive contributions to internet studies as an emerging field.  We also
see the book as a distinctive and, we think, eloquent artifact of AoIR, as
it documents and demonstrates the kinds of collaboration, critical dialogue,
and collegial support fostered by AoIR as crucial conditions for the
interdisciplinary and international work required for internet studies.  We
are very grateful indeed to our contributors and all who help make AoIR work
in these ways for making this volume possible.

Enjoy!

- charles and Mia

charles ess
Institut for Informations- og Medievidenskab
Helsingforsgade 14
8200 Århus N.
Denmark
mail: <imvce at hum.au.dk>
tel: (+45) 8942 9250

Professor, Philosophy and Religion
Drury University, Springfield, Missouri 65802 USA

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23