[Air-L] development of the information society concept

Petr Lupac petr.lupac at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 07:37:24 PDT 2011

Sandra,

thank you for your reply, I know about the Japanese origins of the term from
Duff's texts but your tip would be helpful as well and I am looking forward
to read it. However, my question was pointed more to the logic behind EU
switching terms - whether the reason was rather political top-down,
academy-driven, any-other-actor-network-involved, or rather "accidental"
result of complex negotiation process as Ren pointed out in this discussion.
And - the most importantly - I am asking to better understand the social
forces/factors behind the Digital Agenda for Europe information policy.

Nevertheless, the connotations of the term Joho Shakai were different from
the connotations of the term information society both in its American and
French [Nora & Mink] version during 70's and 80's. The result could be seen
in the different problem definitions, different definiton of what the term
"information" refers to, different role-of-the-state and research traditions
developed in these different contexts. It was no sooner that in the 90s when
these differences start to converge in the social practice and academic
research - if I am correct. These infos are based partly on my own research
focused on meaning differences and transformation of the term IS (compare
e.g., Nora and Mink, Bell in the late 70s, Marc Porat, and Yoneji Masuda),
and on the work of Alistair Duff (the book Theories of Information Society
and respective articles).

Thank you all for stimulating and interesting replies

Petr Lupac M.A.
Department of Sociology, Faculty of Arts, Charles University in Prague
Celetná 20, Praha 1, 116 42, the Czech Republic

e-mail> petr.lupac--at--gmail.com

Office hours Mo 12:30-14:00, Celetná 20, room nr. 114, or by appointment.