[Air-L] a question about privacy protection and copyright in Internet research

Radhika Gajjala cyborgwati at gmail.com
Fri May 6 06:53:19 PDT 2011

Facebook is not public unless the user 's posts are googlable?
On May 6, 2011 9:44 AM, "Adi Kuntsman" <adi_kuntsman at yahoo.com> wrote:
> .. so, for example, in case of a 'public' FB group (loging required but
noone needs to accept/friend you to be able to see it) - is it public or
private and who, if any, should be asked for permission to research and
cite?

> thanks for advice
>
> --
>
> Dr. Adi Kuntsman
> Simon Research Fellow
> Department of Anthropology/
> Research Institute for Cosmopolitan Cultures
> The University of Manchester
> Second Floor, Arthur Lewis Building, room 2.007
> Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL, UK
> http://adi.kuntsman.googlepages.com

Internet research

>>yes, check login status, i agree.    facebook is an odd case because of
their terms of service.    but if you cannot see something because you are
not logged in, then you have questions of privacy much more significantly.
most of my research currently deals with things that are a. no login
(published blogs) or b. login required but company releases the necessary
rights to material that may be openly viewed  and anyone can login and
openly view(second life).  there are other issues in both because both can
have private channels and sections, but i don't research those.