[Air-L] a question about privacy protection and copyright in Internet research

Michael Zimmer zimmerm at uwm.edu
Tue May 10 14:52:44 PDT 2011

Like Alex, I now have a better understanding the how/why you're trying to make this strong distinction between "documents" and "human subjects". But my broader concern is that some of the statements made seem to indicate that even if we decide a particular item under study is not a "human subject", then we don't need to consider any possible impact on the human connected to that document.

To me, research ethics reaches beyond strict "human subject" distinctions or whether a project is strictly under the purview of an IRB.

Things brings me back to my earlier concern with Jeremy's apparent assertion that once something is published, it is no longer private, and thus we needn't worry ourselves with privacy/ethical concerns.  And I'm reading his meaning to include cases where that publication is without the explicit knowledge or consent of the subject.  Please correct me if I'm mistaken here, Jeremy, because it then begs the question about how the publication of illegally obtained data would fit into your framework.  If Anonymous publishes personal data from the Sony PlayStation database breech, can we researchers use that data without concern over subject privacy?  Are you suggesting that users took the risk that Sony might have flawed security, and users automatically lost any interest in the data once they submitted it to the 3rd party?

-mz