[Air-L] considering how to think about facebook re: research ethics and maybe privacy

Liza Potts lkpotts at gmail.com
Wed May 11 09:06:42 PDT 2011

I've been working with a start-up trying to build a new platform focused on
privacy, and they've had to work through their own issues on whether this is
a teenager's sign on a bedroom door or if this will be really locked down
and "safe" (as much as it can be, right?). One of the ways they plan on
implementing this is through encryption. The kind of encryption where the
platform does not store this key, only the client stores it and can share it
with others. It eliminates the "show us x's account, x's group's posts, x's
chats, etc." Of course, nothing is unhackable.

That said, as a researcher, I have a really strong (vampire?) policy: If
they invite me in, knowing I'm a researcher and will publish what I find,
then I'm going to work. But if it is locked down (and a Private/Closed group
on Facebook meets this criteria), I typically do not go knocking.

Of course, in my major research area (disasters), the information tends not
to be locked down because people are moving as fast as possible to share it.
There is great incentive for them to keep these conversations public, not
the least of which is huge social ROI. However, in my other research area
(digital entertainment/drm), the opposite can be true - but since I look at
sites such as Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, iTunes, etc. I've had pretty good luck
so far.

Liza
Liza Potts, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Writing, Culture, and Technology
Co-Director, CeME Lab
Old Dominion University
Norfolk, VA 23529
AIM: LizaPotts  Skype: lkpotts