[Air-L] Thoughts on "New Media Culture" class?

natalya godbold ngodbold at gmail.com
Tue May 24 19:10:30 PDT 2011

These might be useful
boyd, d. (2010). Making Sense of Privacy and Publicity. SXSW. Austin, Texas.
boyd, d. (2009). The Not-So-Hidden Politics of Class Online. Personal
Democracy Forum (PDF). New York, NY.

from
http://www.danah.org/papers/

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 11:54 PM, Joseph Reagle <joseph.2011 at reagle.org>wrote:

> Next semester I will be teaching an undergraduate course on "New Media
> Culture." While not necessary -- I can design the course as I wish -- I
> intend to be rather literal: focusing on the cultures of new media
> communities. This prompts three questions on which I welcome thoughts.
>
> 1. I still feel obliged to introduce new media in a historical and
> theoretical frame. ("New media" has been a topic of study longer than most
> students have lived.) That is, a concise introduction to the key periods,
> concepts, and figures. For example, in terms of periods, one can see the
> issue of hyper-textuality and narrative in the early 90s, questions of
> community and identity in the mid-90s, and more recently we have "social
> media." (Perhaps a small reference work (dictionary/encyclopedia) would be
> handy.)
> 2. What is an appropriate lens for exploring and comparing new media
> cultures? For example, values, identity (including anonymity), power,
> gender/race, boundaries, pro-sociology, language/jargon, and relation to
> other cultures (including the mainstream). In a related course, we
> encountered all these issues, but I was thinking it would be nice to have
> something up front.
> 3. What are some good cases and readings on new media cultures -- again
> focussing on the cultural aspects? (For example, the Well (historic),
> Anonymous, Facebook, Wikipedia, etc.).

Natalya Godbold
PhD Candidate (Human Information Behaviour / Health Communication)
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
University of Technology, Sydney

¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸. .~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸. .~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸.
.><((((º>`~.¸¸.~´¯`~.¸.~´¯`~...¸><((((º> .,,.~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸.

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with
authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology
Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and
defects.

Think. Green. Do.