[Air-L] List Submission: Cybersex?

Trudy Barber Trudy.Barber at port.ac.uk
Wed May 25 01:12:18 PDT 2011

Hi there..

In answer to your question... I think it might have been me.... ;)
I created one of the first immerive VR sex installations in1992..
You might also want to look at Stahl Stenslie and Kirk Woolfords
CyberSM...

Cheers
Trudy.

Dr. Trudy Barber FHEA FRSA
Senior Lecturer in Media
School of Creative Arts, Film and Media
University of Portsmouth
Room 3.19 St. George's Building
141 High Street
Portsmouth PO1 2HY
United Kingdom
Trudy.Barber at port.ac.uk
T: +44 (0)23 9284 5307
F: +44 (0)23 9284 5372
http://www.port.ac.uk/departments/academic/scafm/staff/title,56309,en.html
Ongoing current project see:
http://www.cdpt.info
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_mjwJTPc4c

>>> Hilary W 25/05/11 5:21 AM >>>
Greetings,

I was wondering if the list's collective mind could help me with a
question:
when was cybersex (here defined as two or more individuals engaging in
typed
descriptions of physical sex acts, emotions etc) first discussed
popularly
and by whom? The academic history of cybersex extends far back to the
Internet's beginnings - lists/MUDs/BBS - and was far more popular back
in
the 90's than now (when seemingly questions of addiction etc take over
apart
from Attwood's recent revisit). It all seems to blur together and so far
have Rhinegold (1991) and Turkle (1995) as the earliest and most
popularly
mentioned discussions.

Any thoughts, comments, epiphanies would be greatly appreciated :)

--
Hilary Wheaton
PhD Candidate Curtin University