[Air-L] introducing Maria

Maria Eronen m85327 at student.uwasa.fi
Tue May 3 13:15:08 PDT 2011

Hi everyone,

Let me introduce myself: I am Maria Eronen, a PhD student of
Communication Studies from University of Vaasa, Finland. I am
currently working with my PhD dissertation concerning how celebrity
gossip leads to moral discussion on Internet forums and discussion
boards.

By utilizing the analysis of evaluative language (e.g. Martin & White
2005) with rhetorical perspective, and by comparing Finnish and
English language online discussions with each other, I hope to answer
to two questions: 1) Do participants in celebrity-related online
discussions form a moral community? and 2) Do they construe moral
norms by interacting? The number of hate speech and naming of other
discussion participants, for instance, can be seen as a sign of
unsolved moral uncertainty typical of multinational and multicultural
Internet discussions.

It would be nice to know if anyone else works with similar topics ;)

Greetings from sunny but very cold Finland,

Maria