[Air-L] Research

Mark Chen markchen at u.washington.edu
Tue May 24 12:03:21 PDT 2011

One question you will likely need to know the answer to is whether you need
to know the offscreen names and identities of these kids. With knowing who
they are, you'd definitely need consent and assent. With anonymous people,
consent will still probably be needed/is ethical since you're looking at
online identity (they are anonymous offscreen but not onscreen), but you may
be able to get approval for waiver of *written* consent. IE. it's possible
to get their consent from checking a box on a website or something rather
than collecting their signatures and offscreen names.

just my $.02... Do you have access to other IRB proposals from your research
institution that deals with online research?

mark