[Air-L] Fwd: [ciresearchers] FW: <nettime> G8 vs INTERNET--call for creative action

gene loeb geneloeb at gmail.com
Wed May 25 12:37:17 PDT 2011

This is important for air.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:11 AM
Subject: [ciresearchers] FW: <nettime> G8 vs INTERNET--call for creative
action
To: ciresearchers at vancouvercommunity.net
Cc: Geert Lovink <geert at xs4all.nl>

-----Original Message-----
From: nettime-l-bounces at mail.kein.org
[mailto:nettime-l-bounces at mail.kein.org] On Behalf Of Geert Lovink
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 7:59 PM
To: nettime-l at kein.org
Subject: <nettime> G8 vs INTERNET--call for creative action

http://g8internet.com/

G8 vs INTERNET

Our imaginations help us protect our rights and a free Internet

call for creative action
Everyone is invited to send URIs web addresses of any bits of
expression produced in answer to this call to submit at g8internet.com.

The Internet is the place where we meet, speak, create, educate
ourselves and organize. However, as we are at a turning point in early
web history, it could either become a prime tool for improving our
societies, knowledge and culture, or a totalitarian tool of
suveillance and control.

After 15 years of fighting the sharing of culture in the name of an
obsolete copyright regime, governments of the World are uniting to
control and censor the Internet. The black-out of the Egyptian Net,
the US government's reaction to Wikileaks, the adoption of website
blocking mechanisms in Europe, or the plans for "Internet kill
switches"[1] are all major threats on our freedom of expression and
communication. These threats come from corporations and politicians,
unsettled by the advent of the Internet.

As a host of the G8, France's president Nicolas Sarkozy wants to step
up centralized control over the Internet. He has convened world
leaders to a summit aimed at working towards a "civilized Internet", a
concept he borrowed from the Chinese government. By creating fears
such as "cyber-terrorism", their objective is to generalize rules of
exception in order to establish censorship and control, thereby
undermining free speech and other civil liberties.

They will package this policy using words like "democracy" and
"responsibility", but look at their acts. Sarkozy has already enabled
disconnection of citizens from the Internet and the censorship of
online content in France.

The Internet allows us to express our opinions universally. The
Internet unites us and makes us strong. It is a space in which the
common civilisation of our diverse planet meets. Our imaginations,
through all kinds of media we create and publish, help us protect our
rights and a free Internet. As world leaders gather at the end of this
month, we must all come together and use our creativity to reject any
attempt at turning the Internet into a tool of repression and control.

#  distributed via <nettime>: no commercial use without permission #
<nettime>  is a moderated mailing list for net criticism, #  collaborative
text filtering and cultural politics of the nets #  more info:
#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime at kein.org

!DSPAM:2676,4dd7a4cd40309950465804!

message unsub (sub) ciresearchers

--