[Air-L] Online consent forms

Ulf-Dietrich Reips u.reips at ikerbasque.org
Wed May 4 08:46:37 PDT 2011

Hi Sanaz:
generally, it is best if you can settle with your
IRB or any other supervisionary person/office on
a common pratice: simply use a submit button with
the wording "I agree" or "I consent" at the end
of the consent form. Only if this button is
pressed a participant can advance to the next
page of the study. Authenticication (if needed)
can then be managed within the study.

Another option is, of course, a PDF file of the
consent form you ask potential participants to
print, sign, and fax or mail back along with a
copy of an ID. This procedure, however, is more
burdensome for all parties and more susceptible
to leaking participants' personal data during the
communication.

A variant of the second option above is that
first you send individual codes to those you
invite to your study. No personal information is
transmitted, so it can not fall into the hands of
third parties. Provided you use a safe way of
communication the codes further ensure with a
high probability that indeed only those you sent
them to do participate, and you can identify each
participant. Also, you will know who attempted to
participate multiple times or passed the code to
others as well. Of course, with this option - as
with most others - you can not be absolutely sure
that it is indeed the person you contacted who
participates.

There are more options, but the ones above suffice for most online studies.

Best wishes --u

--
Ulf-Dietrich Reips, Ph.D., habil.
	Ikerbasque Research Professor