[Air-L] a question about privacy protection and copyright in Internet research

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Sun May 8 04:32:40 PDT 2011

i'd tend to think that nation-states have different standards and practices than researchers:) there are also pages that say do not archive and do not research.

for instance, the other day someone showed me a link to a dating site where several posts that have this text:

***WARNING:
Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its
associated sites for studies or projects - You DO NOT have permission
to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current
and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my
privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications. It is recommended
that other members post a similar notice to this or you may copy and
paste this one.***

.... now that's in their profiles in open text boxes.  however, it is also available without issue on the open web, nor is it clear in any form that they own the data they think is private, though they clearly think that they do.  this looks like it spread meme-like across the site, but i have no idea how many users have this link statement.   but it is clear to me that some of the users, like we had in responses in various online fora after ir 1.0 which i presented on at ir 2.0, do not think they should be researched.