[Air-L] a question about privacy protection and copyright in Internet research

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue May 10 10:23:42 PDT 2011

I tend to put reflexivity in the category of judgment.  and no i am not saying this is going to be 'unethical' or that we shouldn't use ethics, what i am saying is that, we should resist the temptation to make public documents into questions of human subjects.   But we just need to be as clear as we can in this area as to what the ethical considerations are.

In regards to the twitter example and most 'harm' arguments I find it fruitful to discuss... where the harm began and who is perpetrating it in respect to what.   I have a private twitter account and people have used it for research, in what sense is my twitter private, in what sense could i be harmed any more than I actually have consented to by using twitter?