[Air-L] Research

Lois Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Wed May 25 10:51:57 PDT 2011

Just a note to add to the conversation, you can and should apply for a
waiver from parental consent. The basic intent of parental consent is
that you get the parents consent before you contact the kids. Of
course in internet research this model is an impossible one as we
usually discover the kids first and can only contact the parents
through the kids. Once upon a time this process was difficult for some
IRBs to understand but not now when there has been quite a bit written
on the topic...including the CITI module on internet research which
suggests that "consent" processes should be waived for online research
since we can't be sure who is on the other end.

Lois Scheidt