[Air-L] a question about privacy protection and copyright in Internet research

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri May 6 17:02:24 PDT 2011

I would not say that anything put onto facebook as private, that will be public, the limits of research there are governed by matters of ownership, not matters of privacy.  You've given your data to facebook under a contract, so if facebook gives it to me, that's that.   It is public.  You consented to it being used for anything as soon as you gave it to facebook.    That is the end of it.  The ethics of the matter are now a matter of property on facebooks part, not on yours.    (that again is a hard and uncomfortable line, but it might be too true)