[Air-L] AoIR Membership Drive

Mia Consalvo consalvo at mit.edu
Thu May 19 10:40:42 PDT 2011

Hello to all fellow AoIR community members!

In an effort to build our community and stabilize our membership rolls the
Executive Committee is initiating our first official Membership Drive. Our
goal is to bring the number of dues paying members more in line with our
Air-L list participants.

Most Air-L list members consider themselves members of the AoIR community as
well as the Association of Internet Researchers organization, proudly
listing their affiliation on vitas and resumes. Unfortunately, in any given
year, actual dues paying membership wildly fluctuates because people
generally renew their memberships when they attend the conference. So, while
“conceptual” membership persists, many people only take out “actual”
membership when they attend the conference.

Sustaining dues paying membership in AoIR is critical in maintaining a
vibrant association by demonstrating to the broader academic and private
sector communities that AoIR is, as we as members realize, an important
forum for cutting edge Internet and new media research.

Membership in AoIR provides support for the Association including the Air-L
list and programming our yearly conferences as well as giving you a voice in
the Association's affairs and its future. We strongly encourage all AIR-L
list subscribers to support our AoIR community by becoming a member if you
are not already. In addition to a warm-fuzzy feeling, instant hipness, and a
well-deserved sense of satisfaction, AoIR members get a special registration
rate for our annual AoIR conference, may run for positions on the Executive,
and vote in elections.

Membership in AoIR is extremely* *inexpensive compared to most professional
and scholarly associations and helps support Internet scholarship and
research. We would welcome you joining the association and helping us to
grow and promote studies of the Internet. The annual membership dues are as
follows: (all figures in US$)

Standard individual membership $45
Students (including Ph.D. students) $30
Individuals in non-OECD countries $10
Lifetime individual membership $1000
Educational institution (academic department, library, etc.) $250
Non-profit organization $100
Non-profit institutions in non-OECD countries $25
Corporate sponsor (for-profit institution) $2000
Affiliate membership is available for persons and non-profit institutions in
non-OECD countries – free to a maximum of two years, includes only basic
AoIR.org web access

 We know you appreciate AoIR and being part of our community. Now is the
time to step up and make that membership official. It is inexpensive and
easy. Please visit http://aoir.org/membership/ to sign-up and support AoIR.
Not sure of your member status? Email AoIR’s Secretary, Katherine Middleton:
secretary at aoir.org. For any questions about membership costs, please contact
AoIR’s Treasurer, Michael Zimmer: treasurer at aoir.org

Finally, thank you for your support and participation on the list and in
other AoIR-related activities. AoIR has always been a volunteer-run
organization, and has continued to be the association that I feel is my
strongest academic 'home' as well as one where I see the best research and
theory about the Internet occurring.

All the best,
Mia, AoIR President
--