[Air-L] a question about privacy protection and copyright in Internet research

Liza Potts lkpotts at gmail.com
Fri May 6 07:00:22 PDT 2011

What Jeremy said.

As an aside (and a bigger discussion that I'd love some advice on), our
recent NSF grant was turned down because we were proposing archiving social
content (tweets, comments appended to news articles, blogs, etc.) along with
MSM articles (from CNN, BBC News, etc.). The issue was surrounding the
ethics of archiving "personal data" even though it is posted in a public
space (not password protected, no logon required, etc). We are hoping to
meet with folks over at archive.org and the library of congress to discuss
this further, but I'd be very interested in hearing how others have dealt
with this issue in your grant proposals.

Thanks,
Liza
Liza Potts, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Writing, Culture, and Technology
Co-Director, CeME Lab
Old Dominion University
Norfolk, VA 23529
AIM: LizaPotts  Skype: lkpotts