[Air-L] a question about privacy protection and copyright in Internet research

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue May 10 07:50:59 PDT 2011

Well what actually happens when you put something on facebook?  it isn't like you are sending a private letter to a group of friends.  it is much closer to going to a shopping mall where all the video cameras are tracking your every move.   It isn't your property you are acting within... it is facebooks, in doing that acting you are agreeing with the terms that they put upon you.  It isn't about your or my ethics Michael at that point, it isn't about what we should do or our ethical systems, it is then about the agreement that we consent to.

There are no subjects to ask what you want to ask if you are doing document based research.  You can ask the webpage, but your browser probably is not going to respond.  The assumption you are putting forth is one that... there are subjects and it matters what their opinion is, but I want to say, when I read and interpret a book, a newspaper, a public record or any other published document, I need not consider that.  You want to say perhaps that 'they don't know they are publishing it' and even if they publish it 'they might not want it researched'  but that is not something we afford authors of published documents.  We could, but I think it is going the wrong direction.  That debate, I'd argue ended, when they put on the web in a manner similar to a published document in which it is assigned a copyright and is freely available to anyone without login.  I've already stated that login may change that status.

I think you can do research on a database with personally identifiable positions without running afowl of u.s. standards for research ethics and I mostly agree with that personally.  If the data was freely given to a corporation and then the corporation freely gives it to you, then I don't think anyone is going to have any issue with you using that data as it was a. previously gathered  and b. you are not interacting with the people.  It might not be something people like, but I think that is generally the way it works.   We have many colleagues doing this research right now actually, they all seem to have had their material passed by IRB's, most I suspect with waivers, but some perhaps with deeper reviews.   I am fairly certain that if Facebook gave me data that they collected with personally identifiable information in it, and it was given under contract, and I ran that by the irb they would treat it much like they treat personally identifiable census data or use of standard social research data sets with individually identifiable data, that is... unless it contains private information, which as I said is a problematic construct, it is probably going to get a waiver, and the debate about whether these are human subjects or not, won't come up

gotta run to an appt. but look forward to rejoinders.