[Air-L] Fwd: CFP for ICA pre-conference -- Mobile Communication, Community and Locative Media

richard.ling at telenor.com richard.ling at telenor.com
Wed Nov 2 04:15:17 PDT 2011

Dear all,

Please note the following call for papers

Rich L.

2012 International Communication Association (ICA) Pre-conference Workshop

May 23 – 24, 2012
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Mobile and location-based networked interactions permeate our world. We no longer enter the Internet--we carry it with us. We experience it while moving through physical spaces. Smart phones, GPS receivers, and RFID tags are only a few examples of location-aware mobile technologies that mediate our interaction with networked spaces and the people in them. Increasingly, our physical location determines the types of information with which we interact, and the people and things we find around us. These new kinds of networked interactions manifest in everyday social practices that are supported by the use of mobile technologies, such as participation in location-based mobile games and social networks, engagement with location-based services, development of mobile annotation projects, and social mapping, just to name a few. The engagement with these practices has important implications for identity construction, our sense of privacy, our notions of place and space, civic and political participation, building community, policy making, as well as cultural production and consumption in everyday life.

Abstracts of no more than 500 words are due by November 15, 2011. Please send them along with your name and contact information to Dr. Adriana de Souza e Silva (adriana [at] souzaesilva [dot] com<mailto:adriana at souzaesilva.com>). Accepted abstracts will be notified by December 1, 2011. Final papers will be due April 1, 2012.

http://sociomobile.org/mobile2012/