[Air-L] Professorial Lecture - The Future of Cyberspace - 30 November 2011

Sue Thomas Sue.Thomas at dmu.ac.uk
Thu Nov 3 04:11:48 PDT 2011

Apologies for x-posting

De Montfort University's Professorial Lecture Series 2011

The Future of Cyberspace

A lecture by Sue Thomas, Professor of New Media

Wednesday 30 November 2011

You are warmly invited to join us for a lecture by Sue Thomas, Professor
of New Media at De Montfort University.  The lecture is part of the
university's Professorial Lecture Series for 2011, showcasing and
celebrating the academic activities of the university's professors.

The lecture on Wednesday 30 November will start at 6pm and takes place
in our Hugh Aston Building.  Tea and coffee will be served before the
lecture and a drinks reception will follow the lecture.

Parking will be available at our visitor car park and directions can be
found at http://www.dmu.ac.uk/aboutdmu/campuses/maps/leic_campus.jsp
<https://webmail-ic.dmu.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.dmu.a
c.uk/aboutdmu/campuses/maps/leic_campus.jsp>

This lecture will explore the evolution of the landscape of cyberspace
from its creation as an unpopulated wilderness through its exploration,
colonisation, cultivation, settlement and growth, and offers some
predictions for the future of this most exotic place.

Sue Thomas is Professor of New Media at the Institute of Creative
Technologies in the Faculty of Art, Design and Humanities. She has
written several books including the novel 'Correspondence', short-listed
for the 1992 Arthur C Clarke Award for Best Science Fiction Novel, and
most recently the 2004 non-fiction cyberspace travelogue 'Hello World:
travels in virtuality'. She has written about computers and the internet
since the 1980s and is now working on 'Nature and Cyberspace: Stories,
Memes and Metaphors', a study of the relationships between cyberspace
and the natural world, forthcoming with Bloomsbury Academic. She
co-directs the influential Transliteracy Research Group and the DMU
Transdisciplinary Group, and is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.
Further information about this lecture and others in the series can be
found at www.dmu.ac.uk/events

I do hope you will be able to join us for this event.  Places for the
lecture must be booked by contacting the Events Office on 0116 257 7452
or via email: eventsoffice at dmu.ac.uk.  Alternatively, places can be
booked online at www.dmu.ac.uk/events
<https://webmail-ic.dmu.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.dmu.a
c.uk/events> .   There are limited places available, so if you are
interested, do please book early to avoid disappointment.

We look forward to seeing you for what promises to be a very interesting
lecture.

 With best wishes

Sarah

______

Sarah Plowman

Events Organiser, External Relations

DE MONTFORT UNIVERSITY

T: +44 (0) 116 250 6376

E: splowman at dmu.ac.uk <mailto:cleech at dmu.ac.uk>

W: dmu.ac.uk

Have you been to our lecture series yet?  Topical talks by expert guest
speakers and academics
<http://www.dmu.ac.uk/news_events/events/index.jsp>  throughout the year

(NB:   For information, I work part-time and my days of working are
Monday to Wednesday lunchtime.   Outside of these times please contact
The Events Office on 0116 250 6172 or email eventsoffice at dmu.ac.uk)