[Air-L] Tenure Track Journalism position at University of Texas at Austin

Johnson, Thomas J tom.johnson at austin.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 10 15:28:59 PST 2011

The deadline for when we are going to be reviewing applications is quickly coming up!

The University of Texas at Austin’s School of Journalism invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of assistant professor, beginning Fall 2012, to join our faculty of distinguished scholars and professionals as we launch our new converged curriculum in our new facilities in the Belo Center for New Media. Candidates’ research interests should be relevant to the vital issues of the day concerning the evolution of journalism and its contributions to a democratic society, including the changing economics, professional roles, and institutional structure of media and/or the impact of the emerging new media on journalism, citizenship and the public sphere nationally and globally. Additionally, applications are encouraged from those with interests in qualitative methods, issue-driven reporting, visual media, or cross-platform journalism; candidates with diverse training and methodological approaches; and candidates with relevant professional experience. Applicants should have earned their PhD in Journalism or a related field by August of 2012. Successful candidates will demonstrate a commitment to sustaining a vigorous program of original research and publication with potential for external funding; show promise of excellence in graduate-level teaching and mentoring (both M.A. and Ph.D.); and demonstrate the capacity and commitment to teach undergraduate journalism context courses and/or professionally-oriented journalism skills courses. Other desirable qualifications include the ability to work collaboratively within the School and College, and with scholars in other disciplines on campus and internationally. The School offers the B.J., M.A., and Ph.D. and is housed within a top-ranked College of Communication, which includes the nationally regarded Departments of Advertising & Public Relations, Radio-Television-Film, Communication Studies, and Communication Science and Disorders.

Applicant Instructions:

Screening of applicants will begin November 15, 2011 and will continue until the position is filled. Send curriculum vitae, names and contact information of three references, and a statement of interest in the position to: Thomas Johnson, Search Chair; School of Journalism; University of Texas at Austin; 1 University Station A1000; Austin, TX 78712-0113; email applications accepted at: tom.johnson at austin.utexas.edu<mailto:tom.johnson at austin.utexas.edu>. The School is committed to achieving diversity in its faculty, students, and curriculum, and it welcomes applicants who can help achieve these objectives.