[Air-L] Call for participation - International Research Workshop - Media Studies, Aarhus University

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 02:56:44 PST 2011

Dear colleagues,
With apologies for duplications and cross-postings: please distribute to
interested colleagues and relevant lists.

On behalf of our keynote speakers and organizers, we are pleased to invite
participation in an international research workshop on Mobile Communication:
Mobile Internet, Locative Media, Mobility and Place.

We invite researchers who work with mobile communication as a cultural,
spatial and social phenomenon to join us for this two-day round-table
workshop hosted by the Media Studies Department at Aarhus University. We
will emphasize the spatial aspects of mobile communication and mobile
internet. The workshop aims to reflect and discuss general theoretical
perspectives, empirical case studies and methodological implications of
studying mobile internet and locative media in relation to mobility and
place. We have invited an international panel of speakers in order to
encourage and facilitate the development of an international research
network on mobile communication.

Topics to be analyzed and discussed:
-      Theoretical, analytical and methodological aspects of mobile
communication, mobile internet and locative media
-      Travelling, mobility and mobile technologies
-      Locative media and the production of place
-      Mobile internet, mobile media devises and new media practices

Guest speakers:

Rich Ling (DK)  "Digital Gemeinschaft"
Naomi Baron (US)"Reading on the Run: What We Read on Mobile Devices and Why"
Leopoldina Fortunati (Italy)  "Mobilities and Mobile Phones"
Jonas Larsen (DK) "Mobile Communication, Place and Mobile Methods"

Additional contributors:

Iben Have, DK & Birgitte Stougaard, DK "Audiobooks and Mobile Listening: New
Medium, New Users, New Literary Experiences?"
Anja Bechmann, DK  "Communication to-go: Studying Mobile and Seamless
Communication Practices"
Jakob Linaa Jensen, DK "Online Social Networks; Augmentation of Social
Space"
Martin Brynskov, DK "Mobile Media and Smart Cities"
Stine Lomborg, DK  "The internet in my pocket"
Charles Ess, DK  "Mobile Communication, Culture, Convergence"
Anne Marit Waade, DK  "Locative Mobile Media, Place and Performativity"

Logistics
-      The roundtable workshop starts Thursday 29 March at 10.00am and ends
Friday 30 March at 5.00pm
-      The workshop takes place at Aarhus University, IT-campus, ADA
Building, meeting room 333, Helsingforsgade 15, 8200 Aarhus N
-      Workshop fee: participation in the workshop itself is free, but
participants will be asked to cover meal expenses (400 DKr for lunch and
coffee for two days, and ­ optional - 400 DKr. for dinner Thursday night).
Accommodation and travel expenses are covered by each participant.

Submitting abstract for presentation:
There will be a limited number of participants in the workshop. Deadline for
submitting an abstract for presentation is 15. January 2012. The abstract
should be no longer than 250 words. All participants will receive a response
by 1 February. Please send your abstract to Sarah Shorr: imvsgs at hum.au.dk

Guidelines for the presentation
Prepare a presentation of ca. 10 minutes inclusive relevant questions to be
posed for the workshop discussion. It might be based on a paper, an article
or just a note or questions. Please send your contribution by 1 March to
Sarah Shorr: imvsgs at hum.au.dk. Contributions will be distributed to
participants prior to the workshop: participants will be asked to read each
other¹s papers in advance of the workshop.

Organizers
Charles Ess, Media Studies, Aarhus University
Anne Marit Waade, Media Studies, Aarhus University
Sarah Schorr, Ph.D. Fellow, Media Studies, Aarhus University

Related Ph.D-course

In connection to the workshop, we are organizing the Ph.D. course,
Researching Mobile and Locative Media - Methods and Ethics. It takes place
Wednesday, March 28, 2012. 11 am ­ 6 pm. In this course, we will emphasize
the methodological approaches, as well as the ethical questions that
surround the empirical study of mobile and locative media. For more
information about the course, please contact Sarah Schorr, e-mail:
imvsgs at hum.au.dk.

Many thanks in advance,
Charles Ess
Professor MSO
Institut for Informations- og Medievidenskab
Helsingforsgade 14
8200 Århus N.
Denmark
mail: <imvce at hum.au.dk>
tel: (+45) 8942 9250

Professor, Philosophy and Religion
Drury University, Springfield, Missouri 65802 USA

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23