[Air-L] copyediting question: capitalize www?

Nathaniel Poor natpoor at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 07:59:23 PDT 2011

It's English, we have no absolute authority which dictates the language (despite what some people may think about Chicago or APA). Some countries, such as Spain and France, have some sort of institution (which I forget the name of) that is like the arbiter of language. Not that everyone follows those, but I remember a Spanish-speaking friend of mine was surprised to find out we didn't have one for English.

Internet (which there is at the start of a sentence, so who knows what my preference is) is a word in transition. Commonly it used to be Internet, now more people are using internet. Given that we are still in the transition, use whichever you like. As long as we can understand you, and your editors and reviewers are happy, then I'll be quite happy with my cup of coffee at the end of a good day.

-Nat.