[Air-L] copyediting question: capitalize www?

Scott MacLeod scott at scottmacleod.com
Tue Nov 1 20:43:54 PDT 2011

}Dear AoIR,
 Here's Wikipedia's wiki entry "Internet capitalization conventions,"
that lays out a history of the question about Internet capitalization
-
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_capitalization_conventions
 All the best,
 Scott
 Scott MacLeod
 Founder & President
 World University and School
 http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/World_University
 415 480 4577
 http://scottmacleod.com/worlduniversityandschool.htm
 scott at scottmacleod.com
 On Tue 01/11/11  8:53 AM , Alex Halavais alex at halavais.net sent:
 Hey, we're a global body associated with the internet :).
 I don't think that AP chose to capitalize Internet to distinguish
 itfrom other forms of internetworking. They set the standard for
 thesake of standards setting, and at the time they set the standard
 theword was more commonly capitalized.
 Likewise, any standards-promulgating group is going to be bound
 bytheir former usage, and we should expect the ietf to be slower
 thanother discourse communities to change. Luckily, those who
 buildtechnologies name them only at their own peril. Anyone made use
 of a"electrical speech machine" lately?
 - A
 On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Janna Anderson  wrote:
 > The Internet Society, the Internet Engineering Task Force and
global bodies
 > associated with the Internet use the capital "I" to distinguish
the global
 > network from smaller internets. It is an important distinction and
those who
 > do not make it are in error.
 >
 > Associated Press style - the official journalistic style adopted
by most
 > news organizations - is to use Internet in reference to the global
network
 > of networks. In AP Style Web and World Wide Web are used in
upper-case to
 > distinguish from other webs.
 >
 > While some people and organizations like to say that Internet
should be
 > spelled lower-case as with radio, television and other
communications tools,
 > they are not recognizing the distinction as they should.
 >
 > Janna
 >
 > On 11/1/11 10:59 AM, "Nathaniel Poor"  wrote:
 >
 >> It's English, we have no absolute authority which dictates the
language
 >> (despite what some people may think about Chicago or APA). Some
countries,
 >> such as Spain and France, have some sort of institution (which I
forget the
 >> name of) that is like the arbiter of language. Not that everyone
follows
 >> those, but I remember a Spanish-speaking friend of mine was
surprised to find
 >> out we didn't have one for English.
 >>
 >> Internet (which there is at the start of a sentence, so who knows
what my
 >> preference is) is a word in transition. Commonly it used to be
Internet, now
 >> more people are using internet. Given that we are still in the
transition, use
 >> whichever you like. As long as we can understand you, and your
editors and
 >> reviewers are happy, then I'll be quite happy with my cup of
coffee at the end
 >> of a good day.
 >>
 >> -Nat.
 >>

 >> On Nov 1, 2011, at 9:55 AM, Sue Thomas wrote:
 >>
 >>> I agree with you Jonathan, and try my hardest not to capitalise,
only to be
 >>> regularly told off by editors! But here's an interesting
question: if
 >>> Internet and WWW, then why not Cyberspace?
 >>>
 >>> All very inconsistent. I empathise with the small t television
(and
 >>> telephone)
 >>>
 >>> Sue
 >>>

 >>> _________
 >>> Sue Thomas
 >>> Research Professor of New Media
 >>> IOCT/Faculty of Art, Design and Humanities
 >>> Clephan 1.01d, De Montfort University, The Gateway, Leicester
LE1 9BH, UK
 >>> +44 (0)116 207 8266
 >>> w: http://www.thewildsurmise.com Nature and Cyberspace: stories,
memes and
 >>> metaphors
 >>> e: sue.thomas at dmu.ac.uk [3]
 >>> t: @suethomas
 >>> g: +suethomas

Sterne, Dr.
 >>> Sent: 01 November 2011 09:51
 >>> Subject: Re: [Air-L] copyediting question: capitalize www?
 >>>
 >>> Hi Everyone,
 >>>
 >>> I'm starting to get lots of replies, which I appreciate, and I'm
happy to
 >>> hear more people weigh in, but I'll take the opportunity to
explain my
 >>> thinking on "internet."  Early in their histories, most media
are capitalized
 >>> by journalists (eg., "Telegraph" or "Phonograph") but this usage
generally
 >>> falls away after some time.  I am one of those people who
believe that the
 >>> internet is best thought of as one more of a series of
communication
 >>> technologies that are important in our lives (indeed one of the
arguments of
 >>> the book I'm copyediting effectively de-exceptionalizes the
internet).

 >>> Since I don't capitalize "phonograph" or "television" or
"satellite", it
 >>> seems strange to capitalize "internet" which is not really a new
medium
 >>> anymore.
 >>>
 >>> OTOH, if there is another Really Good Reason to capitalize
"internet," I
 >>> would love to hear it.
 >>>
 >>> Best,
 >>> --Jonathan
 >>>

 >>> On 2011-11-01, at 5:46 AM, Sue Malta wrote:
 >>>
 >>> As part of the team that publishes the "International Journal of
Emerging
 >>> Techologies and Society" (iJETS), I would ALWAYS opt for a
capital for
 >>> Internet and the World Wide Web....
 >>>
 >>> Cheers
 >>>
 >>> Sue Malta

 >>> Sue Malta
 >>> Editor / Managing Editor
 >>> International Journal of Emerging Technologies and Society
(iJETS) Swinburne
 >>> University of Technology John Street, Hawthorn, VIC 3122
 >>> Email: ijets at swin.edu.au
 >>> Or: smalta at groupwise.swin.edu.au
 >>> www.swin.edu.au/ijets;

 >>> Hi Everyone,
 >>>
 >>> Please excuse any repetition if this has been answered recently.
I know that
 >>> people are coming around to not capitalizing the word "internet"
(this is my
 >>> preference too). But what about "world wide web"?
 >>>
 >>> Best,
 >>> --J
 >>>
 >>> Join the Association of Internet Researchers:
 >>> http://www.aoir.org/

 >>> Join the Association of Internet Researchers:
 >>> http://www.aoir.org/
 >>>
 >>> Join the Association of Internet Researchers:
 >>> http://www.aoir.org/

 >> http://www.aoir.org/
 >
 > --
 > Janna Quitney Anderson
 > Director of Imagining the Internet
 > www.imaginingtheinternet.org
 >
 > Associate Professor of Communications
 > Director of Internet Projects
 > School of Communications
 > Elon University
 > andersj at elon.edu [14]
 > (336) 278-5733 (o)

 //
 // This email is
 // [x] assumed public and may be blogged / forwarded.
 // [ ] assumed to be private, please ask before redistributing.
 //
 // Alexander C. Halavais, ciberflâneur
 // http://alex.halavais.net
 //