[Air-L] Moderation of Online Platforms/Communities

Gwen Shaffer glshaffe at uci.edu
Thu Nov 3 10:01:51 PDT 2011

Hi Alex,

For the forthcoming book /Blogging in the Global Society: Cultural,
Political and Geographical Aspects/, I wrote a chapter that examines a
2007 attempt to institute a code of conduct among blog moderators. The
article examines the intense reaction to the proposed code, provides an
overview of historical means of moderation of online communities, and
discusses the U.S. tradition of media self-regulation. The book won't be
released for a couple months, but I can send you a PDF of my chapter, if
you're interested. (The book's Web page is
http://www.igi-global.com/book/blogging-global-society/49568I if you
want to check out the abstract.)

Best,
Gwen Shaffer

Gwen Shaffer, PhD
Post-doctoral fellow
Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences
University of California, Irvine
g.shaffer at uci.edu